Editor’s note: A TechCabal reader has “fixed” Wakanow’s user interface. Jide Lambo is Web / UI Designer based in Lagos.
This is what Wakanow.com looks like right now
For the ones who are not familiar with this website, WAKANOW is reputed to be “Nigeria’s most popular platform for the best flight fare deals, hotel and vacation packages.”
Wakanow visitors are mainly:
- those who want to make inquiries
- those with interest in travel-business
- vacation lovers
- people who go on pilgrimage
The motivation for the Wakanow redesign
I wanted to do something meaningful and not just for the aesthetics.
Therefore, my objective for the re-design was to:
- identify main parent services and prevent the website from becoming a mess by helping the users discover great deals.
- create a website focused on passion rather than the agency itself
- have good images arrangement by design standards
- avoid too much image slides as they cause distractions. An average user won’t even wait for all the slides to load
The Wakanow homepage
The main function of the homepage is to deliver latest information about what is happening in the travel-business. To book fights, make arrangement for vacations, hotel reservations and bus charter. It offers travelers with flight fares, hotel reservations, airport pickups, visa assistance, vacation packages and other travel services. This is why I wanted to put the right information in the right place.
I structured the page by order of importance: Bookings and Reservations, Best Selling Packages and more packages.
Also I valorized more on the “Vacation packages” already on the actual website in order to bring more interactions and more discovery.
I really enjoyed doing this redesign. I learnt a lot more about design and travelling of course, but most of all, I learned to come up with ideas. And even if it is not a real project, I really encourage people to have the same approach because it is a really great way to improve and actually work on cool projects.
You might also like – This guy figures he can redesign Nairaland