Hey there! Today’s TechCabal digest is brought to you by DIYlaw; get N2000 off your next company incorporation here with our coupon code – DIYLAWTC. Here’s everything interesting in African technology today.
1. Uber Kenya has increased fare prices following the recent drivers’ protest that took place in Nairobi. The drivers, unhappy with their earnings, called for a reform and it seems Uber has come forward with a solution/peace offering. Fares in Nairobi have increased from KES35/km to KES42/km, with the minimum fare moving up from KES200 to KES300. Meanwhile in Mombasa, the minimum fare has increased from KES150 to KES200.
+ In related news, Uber has announced plans to roll out real-time ID checks for drivers in Egypt and South Africa. This means Uber drivers in those countries would be periodically required to take selfies before going online to confirm they are authorised to drive the vehicles they are using. In the event where a driver’s profile picture doesn’t match their selfie, their account is suspended until the case is sorted out.
2. The Cape Innovation & Technology Initiative (CiTi) has launched an edtech innovation cluster and incubator to support South African startups that are keen on solving problems in the education sector. The incubator programme will last nine months and it will provide these startups with access to funding.
3. Vodacom has partnered with German development agency, GIZ to launch Connected Farmer, a mobile technology solution aimed at supporting South African smallholder farmers. Connected Farmer will link farmers to services, markets, and information like weather forecasts and market prices. Both Vodacom and GIZ plan to invest $1.6 million over the course of three years into this initiative.
4. Mozambican e-commerce startup Izyshop is looking to raise $300,000 in funding. Izyshop enables users shop for groceries. They hope to raise so as to improve their delivery system and enable one-hour deliveries.
5. Today marks Day 59 of the internet shutdown in Anglophone Cameroon. #BringBackOurInternet
Other things happening…
+ Delivery Science co-founder, Chuka Ofili is hosting a two-day masterclass for developers from March 24 – 25. There are limited seats available, so you should apply asap if you’re interested. Link.
+ This Twitter thread by Kola Aina that talks about why building business models suited for startups is important. Link.
+ “A strong education system is the cornerstone of any country’s growth and prosperity.” Wise words from Seni Sulyman in his piece about the need for an overhaul of the African education system. Link.
+ Wole Lawani is working on a Medium series that translates Warren Buffett’s investment philosophy into advice for entrepreneurs. The first lesson? Knowledge is king. Link.
+ Fun fact: Most mobile micro-credit loans in Kenya are taken out before 3am and 5am. Why? That’s when the average fruit seller wakes up to start her day. h/t Michael Kimani. Link.
+ “Sometimes you have to make the big bet, say it out loud, then throw yourself in so there’s no going back.” Here’s a lesson in tenacity from Foursquare co-founder, Dennis Crowley. Link.
This April, ChatClass NG is offering a 2-month program designed to develop and support social media managers. The program will feature a thorough masterclass, real-life assessments and internships. Apply here if you’re interested. Deadline’s April 1st.
Hot topics on Radar
+ Yesterday, we had an AMA with Greentree Investment’s Abis Soetan. In case you missed, you can catch up here.
+ Someone’s looking for a developer to join a startup founding team, but it seems they’re expecting too much from one person. Link.
Lagos: Use the Capital Square workspace for free on Friday, March 17th. Link.
Ibadan: Wennovation chat with Prosper Otemuyiwa on finding a world class technical co-founder, March 17th. Link.
Kaduna: Google Cloud Next ’17 Extended Viewing Party, March 18th. Link.
Douala: Facebook bot party at Activspaces, March 18th. Link.
Lagos: Digital Health Nigeria App Challenge Meet-Up, March 18th. Link.
Please help our events aggregation algorithm get smarter! Add your event
Thanks for reading!
Have a great weekend. Don’t forget to share this!
Hey! Catch up on all things African tech in today’s TechCabal daily digest here –