MTN Shuts Down its Stores in Nigeria, President Buhari Pulls out of WEF

MTN Nigeria has shut down its stores and service centres across Nigeria as reactions from xenophobic attacks in South Africa continue to grow. In a press release posted on Wednesday, the Nigerian subsidiary confirmed that its facilities and stakeholders have been subject of attacks since Tuesday.

It announced that all its stores and service centres will be shut down till further notice “as a precaution.”

“MTN condemns any acts of violence, prejudice and xenophobia,” the company wrote in the press release. “We are engaging all relevant authorities in this regard and urge them to act swiftly to reduce tensions both in South Africa and Nigeria.”

Xenophobic attacks have been an unfortunate part of post-apartheid South Africa. In 2008, the country witnessed the worst wave of attacks on foreigners, which led to the death of over 60 people. Another notable wave erupted in 2015, with the attacks well-covered thanks to the rise of social media.

South Africans blame other Africans for taking their jobs and engaging in criminal activities like drug dealing. Unemployment is rife in South Africa, standing as high as 28%.

Mozambican Emmanuel Sithole was randomly attacked and killed in South Africa during the xenophobic attacks in 2015.

According to the BBC, the recent attacks began a day after South African truck drivers started a strike protest against the use of foreign drivers. Xenophobic South Africans have attacked and looted shops as well as truck drivers from foreign countries.

However, the recent wave of attacks on foreigners in South Africa is triggering a continental reaction.

Nigerians protested at a Shoprite mall in Lagos. Image source: Twitter

In Nigeria, MTN’s facilities have been attacked in different states. Moreover, on Tuesday, Shoprite, another South Africa-owned company was attacked by protesting Nigerians. Following the attack, Shoprite shut down its stores in Nigeria and other African countries like Zambia.

Nigerian celebrities like Burna Boy and Tiwa Savage have also spoken out against the attacks in South Africa. Burna Boy declared he would never travel to the country, while Tiwa Savage pulled out of the DStv Delicious Festival holding in October.

The recent xenophobic attacks have come at a time when South Africa is hosting the World Economic Forum for Africa. A few African governments have since pulled out of the event and issued warnings against travelling to the country.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday, Nigeria said it would boycott the WEF and has also recalled its ambassador to South Africa. This announcement comes just days after Nigeria threatened to take “defensive measures” against the southern Africa country.

Nigerian Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had been due to attend the summit in Cape Town but will now return home in what is a major escalation of tensions between African largest economies.

Read this next
Nigeria’s advertising regulator, APCON, wants to regulate online adverts
Business, Government, Internet, Mobile, News, Policy, Social Media
3rd September 2019

Nigeria’s advertising regulatory body is planning to regulate online ads. According to a recently released memo, the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON) has threatened to take “zero tolerance on the exposure of adverts on any social media platform.” “The Advertising Standards Panel (ASP) has observed that certain brands expose their communication materials on the […]

More From TC
Business, Developers, Entrepreneurship, Funding
17th September 2019

Andela, the Africa-focused tech accelerator, is laying off more than 400 employees across three countries as the company changes its business model away from developer training. The company told TechCabal it is laying off 250 junior developers from Nigeria and Uganda and about 170 others in Kenya. CEO Jeremy Johnson said the company will now […]

FBI announces arrest of 167 alleged fraudsters in Nigeria in anti-fraud operation
Business, ecosystem, FinTech, Government, Internet, Mobile, News, Policy, Technology
11th September 2019

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has arrested 281 individuals, including 167 in Nigeria, for their involvement in fraudulent business email compromise (BEC) schemes, the agency announced recently. Working with over 12 agencies across multiple countries, the FBI disclosed that the latest arrests are part of Operation reWired, a four-month international operation “designed to intercept […]


TechCabal is a Big Cabal Media brand



Copyright © 2019
All rights reserved

Privacy & Terms