AFTA celebrates innovators that shape the future of finance, and acknowledges the work these companies do to make a difference. This year’s nominees – the African Fintech 100 – were chosen by experts, stakeholders and investors from all over the world.
This number was then whittled down to three startups for each of the six categories. The 18 startups selected were then given seven minutes to pitch their ideas to a panel of judges comprising of industry experts.
The winners of the 2016 African FinTech Awards are:
- Retail Banking – Baobab Microcred
- Bitcoin & Block Exchange – The Sun Exchange
- InvesTech – Easy Equities
- Payments & Transfers – Cellulant
- Lending & Financing – Ovamba
- Incumbent Banks – FNB
Easy Equities emerged the overall winner of all the categories and was named African Fintech Company of the Year 2016.