With the rise in digitization, the world has begun to see the possibility of doing everything remotely — Then came the Coronavirus pandemic, and the necessity for ‘everything from home’ became clearer. Now we have ‘workspaces away from the office’, ‘classrooms away from school’, and the internet away from the internet.
Due to this, some organizations are adopting the ‘Bring Your Own Device’ (BYOD) approach giving staff or students access to organizational assets wherever they are to carry out their day-to-day tasks effectively. On the other hand, there are organizations that deploy corporate-owned mobile devices such as laptops, smartphones, and tablets to staff or students to ensure some level of control.
Either way, both approaches can prove challenging. How do you know that these corporate-owned devices are safe? How do you know that personal devices are being used for the purposes intended by the organization? How do you even keep corporate assets safe when the device is out of your radar?
Mobile devices are key enablers for a successful enumeration project. These devices are given to agents who go out into the field to capture data which sometimes are stored locally on the device — now that is another challenge on its own.
With these devices spread out with little or no supervision, it becomes easy for users to mishandle them. Picture the following scenarios;
- A staff, student, or agent could cart away with the mobile device without any bread crumbs to trace and you would never know if they lost it, sold it or even worse.
- A mobile device that contains sensitive data could be misplaced and end up in the wrong hands which could stir up serious compliance issues.
- The mobile device could be used for other distracting activities besides what they were intended to be used for. Some of these activities could even be fraudulent or malicious enough to implicate the organization.
- A reckless user could manhandle the device and leave it in bad conditions such that it gets even worse over time which will incur higher repair cost for repairs.
There are a thousand and one scenarios we could paint out for you, but it all boils down to this — organizations need to get smarter with managing their mobile devices to prevent the risks and cost of losing them or having them misused.
Mobile Device Management is the best solution for organizations to monitor, track and secure their mobile devices wherever they are. There are so many MDM solutions out there and we’ve streamlined the most important features to know exactly what to look for when searching for the ideal MDM.
Here’s all you need to know concerning the right MDM solution.
A Mobile Device Management (MDM) System is a digitized solution that enables organizations to manage and track owned and personal mobile devices spread across multiple locations, and enforce policies to ensure devices are used with compliance.
On the lookout for an MDM? Here are 12 key features an ideal MDM solution should have:
- Unified Management Platform to offer a fully functional command center for unified management and governance across all devices, endpoints, users, and locations.
- Device Management to manage installations and the overall health of the devices. This feature ensures device inventory which will allow you to know what devices are accessing corporate assets.
- Policy Management to enforce compliance policies from device handlers to defined standard operating procedures, which will ultimately protect the devices and data they carry.
- Seamless Onboarding Process which is less strenuous so that users are on-boarded within minutes and turnaround time is quicker.
- Location Tracking & Access Control to track and enforce the location of devices; get notified when devices leave their assigned location and enforce access control when necessary.
- Blacklisting & Whitelisting Feature to allow for remote deactivation of devices based on activities like security breach or unauthorized usage, and reactivation after investigations.
- Identity Management Feature to integrate to apps on the device and centrally manage identity of users, enable single-sign-on into apps on the device which will allow for easy login into other apps.
- Application Management so that only permitted apps can be installed on the mobile devices which will ensure devices are restricted to relevant applications.
- Report & Analytics to get insights into core activities happening with all mobile devices from a central point for informed decision making.
- Issue Resolution & Log Management to ensure two-way communication on issues users are experiencing on their device or account, and give timely feedback on the resolution.
- Over- the-air App Update to ensure that devices are working optimally on up-to-date software versions by remotely enforcing mobile app updates from the admin portal if required.
- Content Management Function which allows for the separation of corporate data from personal data on the devices required for BYOD (bring your own device).
Introducing the ideal MDM Solution
Seamfix Smart Mobile Device Management (SmartMDM) offers a centralized platform built with every device management scenario in mind — from simple to complex to just-frustrating. SmartMDM contains all the features listed above to cater for every organization’s unique needs.
Ready to get started with simplified mobile device management? You can