musikbi

MusikBi, touted as Senegal’s first home-grown platform for legal music downloads, has launched with the aim of promoting artists, paying them properly, and fighting internet piracy.

So far, close to 200 artists have signed up to distribute their music through the platform, including internationally renowned musicians Youssou N’Dour and Baaba Maal.

“It is the first platform of its kind in Senegal, enabling music downloads by text or PayPal,” Idrissa Sakaine, Director of Solutions and Integration at Solid, the company behind MusikBi.

“We realised that most of the platforms that sell Senegalese music require the buyer to hold a credit card. People don’t use credit or debit cards here as much as in the West and other developed countries”, Idrissa added. “However, mobile phone penetration is strong, with many people having multiple SIM cards connected to different operators. We saw this as the best channel to distribute music. But above all, it’s also to ensure that artists can make a living from their art.”

The service is similar to Mdundo and Waabeh, which offer music downloads at a fee. However, MusikBi does not yet offer streaming, as connectivity remains a challenge in Senegal.

“Many African artists cannot live comfortably by the proceeds of their work”, Idrissa added. “This platform offers a chance for artists in Senegal to promote their work and make a living from it”.

Piracy and changing consumer habits have seen record sales drop worldwide. Illegal downloads have eaten into the artists’ bottom line, and this has been made worse by lax copyright enforcement and poor remuneration from royalties earned.

Additionally, consumers looking online for African music are often limited to content published by international music labels, meaning that a lot of musicians are locked out. MusikBi is looking to change that, offering a variety of artists’ music at an affordable cost.  

Songs on MusikBi cost between 300 and 500 CFA francs (50-85 US cents), and users can pay for them using mobile airtime or PayPal.

The agreement with MusikBi is that artists take 60 percent of the revenue from the sale of their music, while the platform takes the remaining 40 percent.

Read this next
More From TC

Social media giant, Twitter is setting up its first African office and it will be in Ghana. The announcement was made through a tweet by Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey where he thanked the president of Ghana Nana Akufo-Addo. The tweet also included a link to a post on Twitter’s official blog written by Kayvon Beykpour, […]

The directive of the Nigerian Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) issued on the 8th of April, 2021 has been met with consternation and a straightforward (but hopefully simplistic) interpretation that the government is out to stifle innovators – again. These perspectives aren’t unfounded, as innovators of all shades have taken a heavy beating lately due […]

Last week, Ampersand, Africa’s first electric motorcycle company, secured a $3.5 million investment from the Ecosystem Integrity Fund (EIF). This is the largest ever e-mobility investment by a venture capital fund in Sub-Saharan Africa and could hint at a turning point in African electric transport. Based in Kigali, Rwanda, Ampersand assembles and finances electric motorcycles […]


TechCabal is a Big Cabal Media brand



Copyright © 2013 - 2021
All rights reserved

Privacy & Terms
X