Hey there! Today’s TechCabal digest is brought to you by DIYlaw; get N2000 off your next company incorporation here with our coupon code – DIYLAWTC. Here’s everything interesting in African technology today.
Monday. This is going to be a brief digest because the weekend was, er, interesting, but I promise that these links are the best, most fun to start Q2 2017. Let’s get it.
1. The latest episode from Honey Ogundeyi’s Side hustle to Empire YouTube series is the perfect welcome to Q2, because it’s about getting your paper right when you’re starting up. Major key. Link
2. Some people’s Q2 is already on a tear. Jason Njoku tweeted that Iroko TV has acquired another Ofcom licence and will launch two more channels in the UK in H2 2017. Rah! Link
3. Somehow I missed this, but apparently, Kenya’s internet is the fastest in Africa. It’s not like I needed another reason to move to Nairobi. Link
4. I think this post could have been so much more, but it has great ideas about the opportunities there are in tech for people who can’t code. Link
5. Mayowa Okegbenle’s article here doesn’t have a main point to latch onto, but it’s a great commentary on Nigeria’s developer brain drain and the need for an “Africa-focused Andela”. Link
5. The World Economic Forum is looking for the top female entrepreneurs in Africa. Apply or nominate someone. Link
6. An email geek wrote to 100 companies asking for free stuff. That condom-making companies are quite generous is just one of the interesting discoveries he made. Link
7. The latest Flutterwave API-powered startup allows you create and send invoices that your customers can click and settle instantly. It’s like Wave Accounting, but with instant payments. Invoice.ng works just in Nigeria as far as I know, though. Link
8. Day 76 of the internet shutdown in Anglophone Cameroon. #
+ Someone asked the UN why Cameroon should have a say on electronic communications treaties when they are going around depriving millions of their citizens of the freedom to, well, communicate electronically. Awkward. Link
Not subscribed? Click here to get this goodness in your mail every morning at 7am (GMT +1)
Bonus. Some fun links…
1. “If you find your wife on the Facebook, you will lose her on the YouTube.” – Nigeria’s most respected Pastor. Seriously. And the video shows the congregation clapping hysterically. Link
+ It’s also funny because someone added me to a private Facebook group called Dating In Nigeria. Unfortunately, I don’t keep up with the happenings in there, so don’t know if someone’s told them the bad news yet.
+ Zikoko people will also disagree, Twitter is the best place to find love, abeg. Link
2. Only a wicked Nigerian sends another Nigerian a 1GB file email attachment. Link
3. HDMI. Link
This section will be back tomorrow!
Have a great week!
We will be back in your inbox tomorrow with a bigger and better digest.