The winners of the AppsAfrica Innovation Awards which took place yesterday, in Cape Town, South Africa have been announced.
The innovation awards celebrate the best in mobile and tech across Africa, provide the winners with global publicity across multiple channels and networking opportunities with the over 300 industry peers and investors at the Awards party.
Over 200 startups from 25 African countries responded to AppsAfrica’s call for submissions, and a shortlist of 44 startups was released late last month.
According to the founder of AppsAfrica.com, Andrew Fassnidge, “Our goal at Appsafrica.com is to promote and honour the fantastic innovation across the mobile and tech ecosystem in Africa. We had diverse entries from 25 countries and both the finalists and winners are a testament to how technology is being used to disrupt business models, empower people and drive positive social impact across the continent.”
The winners of this year’s AppsAfrica Innovation Awards are;
- Disruptive Innovation Award: Domestly (South Africa)
- Social and Messaging Award: Vula Mobile (South Africa)
- Enterprise Solution Award: Flutterwave (Nigeria)
- News & Entertainment Award: Battabox (Nigeria)
- Educational Award: Mwabu (Zambia)
- Fintech Award: BitPesa (Kenya)
- Social Impact Award: Ask without Shame (Uganda)
- Brand On Mobile Award: Mobi Hunter (South Africa)
- Women In Tech Award: Faraja Nyalandu – Shule Direct (Tanzania)
- Best African App Award: Sliide Airtime (Nigeria)
This year’s awards was supported by Opera Software, the Mobi Hunter, Uber, Shule Direct, Mobile Monday, South Africa and the Mobile Ecosystem Forum (MEF).