Hey there! Here’s everything interesting in African technology today. Not subscribed? Click here to get this goodness in your mailbox every day at 7am (GMT + 1).
Today is Friday.
1. Financial services company, Paga, has joined forces with the Nigerian Postal Service to reach deeper into local communities. If I am not mistaken, there should be about 5,000 post offices around the country. Paga already has 11,000 agent points in its network, and 6 million registered users. Paga CEO, Tayo Oviosu, shared the news via Twitter.
2. The CEO of Kenya’s film board doesn’t like people who use pseudonyms on social media. iAfrikan is reporting that Ezekiel Mutua is actually proposing a bill to ban the use of aliases on the (Kenyan?) internet. For context, these are the same people that wanted to see Netflix banned in Kenya because of “inappropriate” content. Filed under shit you can’t make up.
3. Guess who else is obsessed with regulating social media? South Africa’s State Security Minister. Link
4. Ecobank Cameroon’s new CEO is Gwendoline Abunaw. Yassss! I believe that it is time for a LinkedIn update. But first, we celebrate! Hmm, that rhymed. Okay, I’m sorry.
5. Uber is letting lower quality cars onto the platform in Kenya. Mostly to keep the competition at bay. Link
Get a job as Sales Manager in a growing technology company with offices in Lagos & Dubai and win a signup bonus of $500 in the required selection process plus a one free month intensive training on Sales & Digital marketing. Application deadline is April 26th. Apply here.
What else is happening?
+ Life without Safaricom can really mess with your day, writes Kenyan blogger, Moses Kemibaro, of the recent and rare outage that crippled the mobile network and financial services. But you’ll live. Not every time 4G. Sometimes 3G. Link
+ Don’t be a defensive developer, writes Andela’s Celestine Omin. Pull requests and code reviews are an opportunity to learn, don’t waste them by turning them into pissing contests. Link
Chatclass NG is offering a social media management course where participants will learn how to develop and execute social media strategies that deliver results. The program will feature thorough masterclasses to help you launch and grow a successful social media career. School’s already in session for April but you can register for May classes which begin on the 7th here.
Lagos: Lead Space Happy Hour, is today. Link
Lagos: ReactJs Workshop, is tomorrow. Link
Lagos: Berkeley Haas Africa Business Forum 2017, also tomorrow. Link
Lagos: Startup Grind with Bassey Eyo, tomorrow as well. Link
Lagos: The LXG Premier Gold Tournament, that’s begins tomorrow too. Link
Want to see your event in here? Add your event
Africa Entrepreneurship Award application deadline, IS TODAY. Link
Adansonia accelerator: Applications close on April 30th. Link
GoIgnite startup programme: Applications end on April 30th. Link
Up Accelerate: Applications also close on April 30th. Link
SpeedUp Africa: Apply before May 1st. Link
That’s all, folks!
We’ll be back on Tuesday, after Workers’ day, which will be spent not working. I hope. You do you, and see you.
PS: This is the 300th edition of the daily digest, ZOMG. And we’re also just 50 subscribers from a round 4k, so please forward it to your friends everywhere and tell them to subscribe!