All mobile phone users in South Africa have been mandated to comply with the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-related Information Act (RICA). This measure is to aid the government’s efforts to reduce crime. And MTN has introduced how you can RICA your MTN sim(s) online.
You’re not alone in this sim card registration wave. Countries like Nigeria are also having citizens register their sim cards with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). But instead of going to queue at an MTN centre, you can RICA your sim online from a mobile phone.
Self-RICA is an online service that allows South African MTN customers to activate their sim cards by registering it the MTN app.
So here’s how to register your new MTN sim for immediate activation after purchase.
Instructions on how to RICA your MTN sim using the MTN app
Here’s what to do after you’ve installed the MTN app:
- Launch the MTN app and select “proceed” to bypass the initial setup.
- Select the “RICA my SIM” menu item.
- Click the “Get Started” button to begin the Self-RICA application. (Creating an account is optional.)
Be sure to fill out all fields and submit your application as directed. The application requires you to provide the following:
- Your sim card(s) number(s)
- A copy of your photo ID and proof of residency
- A picture of yourself. (It can be a selfie)
Relevant authorities will assess your RICA application once they have recieved all the required information. If they are able to independently verify the information, your MTN sim card will be activated within 24 hours of submission.
You can visit the MTN website for more information regarding how to RICA your sim online.
How to Rica your Vodacom sim online with TOBI
Vodacom introduced a new revolutionary Self-RICA layer to help customers RICA new Sim cards. TOBi, Vodacom’s Chatbot on the MyVodacom App, now allows new Vodacom users to Self-RICA.
All that is required to prove your identity and Self-RICA include the following:
- A selfie
- A scan of your new prepaid SIM card
- A government-issued ID, or a passport (for international nationals)
- A recorded video with a unique PIN,
All of these identities are checked with the Department of Home Affairs after being compared with artificial intelligence and biometrics. After verification, the consumer can activate the SIM card in any compatible phone, at which point they will receive a welcome message from Vodacom including their new phone number.
Tips for ensuring a smooth Self-rica
- Photos are taken in a well-lit space
- Ensure High-quality pictures
- Document images are clear enough to make out details
- All data is clearly displayed on the document.
- Your passport or ID photo clearly shows you’re the one in the selfie and accompanying video
- Your passport or other valid photo identification details are verifiable.
- Ensure you upload images of your original passport or official ID and not photocopies
You can start your Vodacom SELF-RICA by going to the Self-Service menu before choosing the Vodacom Self RICA option. Another option for clients who have queries regarding Self-RICA is to add “TOBi” [082 009 8624] as a contact on WhatsApp.
Rica your Telkom sim card online
You can now RICA your Telkom SIM online at your leisure. And it’s both easy and safe.
You’ll need the following to RICA your Telkom SIM online:
- The International Mobile Subscriber Identity (ICCID) number, located on the back of your SIM card.
- Personal and contact details
- Copy of RSA ID in either PDF, PNG, JPG, or JPEG format
- Residence evidence : Utility bill, store account bank statement
Step by step to Rica your Telkom sim online
Following the gathering of the above materials, these steps are next in the RICA process for your simcard
Go to Telkom’s RICA homepage, and then hit “Start RICA.” The RICA authentication procedure will now begin.
Indicate your first and last names, email address, phone number, RSA ID, and SIM ICCID when appropriate.
Fill out the form you’ll see after with additional information.
As soon as they get your information, they’ll will contact you via email and/or SMS with further instructions on how to finish the RICA application.
Send in a photocopy of your RSA card. (PDF, PNG, JPG, or JPEG formats are all acceptable.)
Upload your evidence of residency. This can be a bank statement, credit card statement, or utility bill.
Ultimately, you’ll need to snap and submit a selfie that unmistakably features your face. And that’ll be the end of the process for you.
It should take no more than 15 minutes to complete the verification. As soon as your RICA verification is complete, you will receive a text message letting you know if it was successful.
After around two hours, your SIM card will be activated if your application was accepted.
How to Rica your Cell C online
The Cell C Rica online process requires you to submit:
- Valid passport or South African identity book with green barcode.
- Evidence of residency. This can be a bank or credit card statement in your name, a store receipt, or a utility bill in your name.
- Your Cell C SIM Card pack
Step by Step to Rica Cell C sim online
- Use the Cell C Rica Portal to Sign In
- Enter the RICA Serial Number and the PUK Number
- Capture yourself in a selfie
- Then follow the prompts till you’re done
Please Note: Wait at least two hours before attempting to use the SIM card in your mobile device.
How to Rica Afrihost sim online
To Rica your Afrihost sim, you will be prompted to upload your RICA documentation via ClientZone or the Afrihost Mobile App after placing your order. The term “eRICA” describes this method.
All you need to eRica your Afrihost sim card
- Identification with a photo (a selfie).
- Photocopy of your valid South African identification document or international passport.
- A scanned copy of a current proof of residence (not older than 3 months).
- Verifiable proof of identification documents
- Copy of valid South African ZA Green Barcoded ID book/Smart Card and original.
- The original and a copy of a valid South African passport issued by the South African passport office.
- A foreign passport and a photocopy (including any supporting documents).
- Acceptable evidence of residence
- Receipt from the bank or the local tax bill (not older than 3 months).
- Phone or Store Credit (not older than 3 months).
- Name and residential address must be on a document issued within the past 90 days.
As soon as you upload and submit the documents, they’ll check them out. Once the verification is complete, your order will be processed.
The RICA agreement will remain in effect for a total of three months. You can skip the RICA step altogether and speed up the procedure if you place another RICA order within the 3-month window.